FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
junkcollector888
Level 2
Level 2

Cannot create 300GB (gigabyte) ram disk on Win 10 Pro

Post by junkcollector888 »

Hi

Please help.

I cannot create a 300GB ram drive. I am getting the blue screen error (BSOD) after restarting with the new ramdisk settings. The specific error is "inaccessible boot drive". I have to perform a complete whole disk restore from a stable backup to recover from the error.

Currently, the workstation is stable with a a 100 GB ram drive. I need one large temporary ram drive. I do not need to reload an image or anything. I do not want to create multiple ram disks since I need one large ram disk to run my disk intensive application. My goal is to create a 350 GB ram drive and have 34 GB available as ram.

I have 2 configuration options that I use (Direct IO and SCSI). All other settings are not used. I had to restore my system 9 times to identify this issue.

My system is
Supermicro server with X9DR3-LNF4+ motherboard
Dual Xeon e5-2660
384GB of ram (24 x 16GB dual rank 2rx4)
Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB
Windows 10 Pro with automatic upgrades enabled
Using Ultimate Edition v5.70

Ramdisk settings
Basic settings -- Disk size is 102400 or 100GB, Direct IO
Substance settings -- no changes, use default settings only
File system settings -- File system is NTFS, cluster size is default, and check the box for Disable NTFS indexing
File system advance settings -- no changes, use default settings only
Image settings - no changes, use default settings only
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Cannot create 300GB (gigabyte) ram disk on Win 10 Pro

Post by Support »

Sorry for the trouble caused! If possible, could you try the following setting?
In the substance settings, enable the "Dynamic Memory Management".
Thanks.
junkcollector888
Level 2
Level 2

Post by junkcollector888 »

Thanks for the reply. Enabling Dynamic Memory Management (DMM) does help out. The computer is stable now but is running about the same speed as my SSD. My application writes to disk a lot so speeding up disk access is important. It does not depend on the CPU speed.

Is there a way to create a static ramdisk?

If that does not work, is there a way to delay DMM so that it does not move the ram back to available memory. I observe that the ram is moved back to memory after about 5 seconds. Can it be delayed to 5 minutes or 1 hour.

Below is an example.

I created a smaller 50GB ramdisk to compare the performance with my SSD.

1) Ramdisk where DMM is disabled (45 seconds to run 1 test)
2) Ramdisk with DMM enabled (53 seconds to run 1 test)
3) Samsung 850 Evo SSD (53 seconds to run 1 test)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We're surprised that DMM costs so much performance in your testing! We'll try to work out a new version to fix this problem. However, I'm sorry that it may take some time as so far we're really busy in development.
Thanks!
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Junkcollector888,

Your benchmark figures comparing SSD with Ramdisk don't seem to show the difference I would expect (in my experience, a Ramdisk can run 10x faster than SSD). One possibility (highlighted in Raymond.cc's File Copy Benchmarks from their File Copy Tool review) could be Security Essentials' virus scanner. Disabling it (and any other scanner you have running) for the ramdisk should help performance without compromising security.

Are you using any type of image file or have you other methods of making a non-volative copy of your ramdisk?
ramfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ramfan »

I can confirm this problem. On my machine with windows server 2016 I created a ram volume of 640GB and then can only boot with DMM enabled. The performance in this way is really poor. But the same machine with windows server 2012r2 doesn't have this problem, works great with a static 640GB assignment. I'm waiting for a new version which could be better compatible for windows 10 and windows server 2016.