Set up Ram for Different uses. Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
Amerifax
Level 3
Level 3

Set up Ram for Different uses.

Post by Amerifax »

I Have an Asus Rampage V Extreme with 64 gig of memory Windows 10 professional.
Here are my questions:
1. Can I have different ways to set up my RAMdisk? I would like to use my single ramdisk in the following three ways.
a. Chrome, Act!, Google and Camtasia programs
b. Chrome, Access, Dragon and Act!
c. Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome

Note: three profiles all use chrome. Two profiles use Act!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Set up Ram for Different uses.

Post by Support »

I'm sorry I don't understand your question well. But a ramdisk just acts like a real physical disk. So, basically, if a real disk can do above things, ramdisk also can do.
Amerifax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Amerifax »

I have done a great deal of reading and mostly understand my own question. I've been bouncing back-and-forth between three different man drives and have settled on Romex. In my choice was mostly for two reasons.
1. The speedy answer of my topic.
2. The documentation for the product.

One thing I cannot find in the documentation: if I'm going to have a program on the RAM drive must I install, for example Chrome, the program to the RAMdisk or would I move it from my original install, I would think not. So if I'm going to have three different programs on my RAMdisk I would think they would have to be installed to the RAMDISK. How programs are treated on the RAM drive is most ambiguous with all documentation. This information is missing on just about every RAM drive in the marketplace. Including the ROG RamDrive of Asus. My computer is an Asus Rampage V Extreme with 64bit memory dying to be used. Because of Asus and their total lack of documentation. I decided to look elsewhere. Hence hello.
Bob
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, if you want to install programs on a ramdisk, just run their setup programs and install them to the ramdisk. Of course, you need to enable ramdisk's image file feature, thus the contents in the ramdisk will be saved on shutdown and restored on boot up.
You can also manually save the contents to a different image file, thus you can create different ramdisk images. And then you can load desired images when necessary. To switch image file, right click on the ramdisk item and choose "Associate Image" and "Select Image File...".
ramdisk-image.png
ramdisk-image.png (43.75 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
If you have already installed programs on a physical disk, you can move them to the ramdisk by using NTFS feature "junction point". See
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... tools.html
Still you need to enable ramdisk's image file feature, otherwise contents in the ramdisk will be lost when power is off.

However, even you install programs on the ramdisk, these programs still set their working folder or settings to user folders or Windows temp folders which are located in hard disks by default. So you may not need to install these programs on a ramdisk unless you open/close them frequently. you may just set these program's working path or temp path etc which these programs access frequently to ramdisk.

Hope these help.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Amerifax wrote:1. Can I have different ways to set up my RAMdisk? I would like to use my single ramdisk in the following three ways...Note: three profiles all use chrome. Two profiles use Act!
Just to add to support's comments, you could set up 3 ramdisk images with the program installations you describe and swap between them. As support has noted, you will need to take extra steps to relocate program data (e.g. Chrome's browser cache) since that will go under (depending on your version of Windows ) C:\Users or C:\Documents and Settings. This can be done either by configuring the program in question or finding the exact folders used and creating an NTFS junction to link them to a folder on your ramdisk (Primo Ramdisk has tools for creating NTFS junctions, but I would recommend Link Shell Extension as an easier-to-use option).

This will involve a fair bit of effort on your part though (and there is a greater risk of data loss if your system hangs before ramdisk modifications are copied to the image file, unless you use Real-Time Save). If you are looking for a way to use spare RAM to speed up your system, you might find PrimoCache an easier option since all you have to do is allocate memory and let it make best use of it. Data loss there is also a possibility if you enable "write defer" but you have more control over timing than you do with a ramdisk.
Amerifax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Amerifax »

>>I'm sorry I don't understand your question well<<
You have answered my question. I can have different images that can be loaded for different jobs. Such as an image that has Photoshop when using heavy graphics. Or when creating mapping programs having an image that deals with those programs I would need for this special need. In other words tailor my image based on my workload.
Bob