Ramdisk - allow multilevel folders creation

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
npelov
Level 5
Level 5

Ramdisk - allow multilevel folders creation

Post by npelov »

Currently only one level folders can be pre-created. Currently I use following structure:
systemp
usertemp\administrator
usertemp\user1
usertemp\user2
...etc

It would be nice to allow \ and create all folders in path
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ramdisk - allow multilevel folders creation

Post by Support »

For multilevel folders, you can associate an image file with the ramdisk. Then directly create any folders wanted in the ramdisk. Then click "Save the disk contents to an image file" icon and save the ramdisk contents. Now you can change the image settings of the ramdisk to "Load Only", thus next computer boot, ramdisk only loads the saved image file with folders you created and won't save any new data to the image file.
npelov
Level 5
Level 5

Post by npelov »

Yes, but I would like to have persistent hybrid disk. I tried the image with load only - works fine. I even compressed the image - it's 600kb for 4 GB ram disk. But I need hybrid disk with persistent contents. The workaround as a start is multi-level directory creation for hybrids. Of course I would much prefer persistent hybrid disk.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

You're right. The above solution does not work with hybrid disks because they don't support image file. We'll support it in future versions.
Thank you!
Amerifax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Amerifax »

There is no mention of the version being used. Is it now in the most resent version of RamDisk?
Bob
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

The above information also applies to the latest version 5.7 which still doesn't support image file for hybrid disks.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

A possible workaround would be to have the top level folder (e.g. usertemp) on a physical disk with its subfolders (user1, user2, etc) being NTFS junctions to corresponding top-level folders on a ramdisk (so if Z: was the ramdisk drive then have C:\usertemp\user1 going to Z:\user1, C:\usertemp\user2 going to Z:\user2). It's a less elegant setup but one that should offer most of the benefits you seem to be looking for.