intika
Level 9
Level 9

Some Suggestions...

Post by intika »

Hi...

Here is some suggestions
Some are for future version cause it's my imagination of an absolute Fancycahe

---1- Deferred write feature : Add the possibility to choose the speed of writing at the end of set time
---2- Exclude directory list from Deferred write
---3- Feature to exclude System file from "Deferred write"
---4- Flush cache to disk on system error (blue screen) like windows do (not easy to do i know)
------and may be finish the cache cleaning on reboot or ask the user or add an option on windows boot menu...
---5- Let the user choose what to cache :
------5a- Possibility of disabling cache algorithm and let the user choose what to cache
------5b- Plus/Less the incorporated algorithm, let the user add a list (directory/application) ...
------(if directory it's simple and if it's application fancy cache must take automatically needed dlls)
------5c- Plus/Less the incorporated algorithm, add a form with check box where you list predefined think to cache
------(example : ¤ System file ¤ Boot File ¤ Shared DLLs ¤ Explorer and her stuff ¤ Internet Softs ¤ PageFile)
---6- Feature to write deferred cache when disk is idle
---7- Exclude list (directory excluded from cache) ... (told it in an other place of the forum)
---8- Gamers mode... (where we could choose a game and fancycache will concentrate only on this apps)
---9- Tray Icon : add a tray icon of fancy cache like that we could use the options/Action and modifications easily
------9a- Lunching performance monitor on right click
------9b- Disabling tray icon without stopping the soft (kill the exe keeping the driver)
------9c- Execute deferred write
------9d- Enable/disable on boot Tray icon
------9e- Check Disk : Check the disk to see if there is file/index error
---10- A tool to view cache content and the possibility to discard selected item from the list (a little like taskmgr)
---11- An energy saver mode (for laptop for example) when activated use less cpu and reduce hard disk write speed
------and maybe use more time for differed write
---12- Use a ramdisk or an other place to store the cache (you could check the speed of added place to notify the user
------if it's recommended or not) about ram disk it will be cool cose it add all feature of ramdisk to fancycache like mirror saving etc.
---13- Execute deferred write on "Stop" button (i don't know if you implement it or not)
---14- Can i integrate the development team ? looooooooooooool :lol:

Will posts others when i find... hope it's helping you (and not retarding the development it's why i indicated some is for future)
Last edited by intika on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Some Suggestions...

Post by Support »

:o amazing!
Thank you, intika.

---1- Deferred write feature : Add the possibility to choose the speed of writing at the end of set time
We have the internal control to balance the write speed at the end of set time. Will consider if it is necessary to introduce this option to users. We prefer to simplify the options/configuration. It might confuse or annoy users if there are too many options. ;)

---4- Flush cache to disk on system error (blue screen) like windows do (not easy to do i know)
Quite difficult...brings too much work :(

---6- Feature to write deferred cache when disk is idle
---9- Tray Icon : add a tray icon of fancy cache like that we could use the options/Action and modifications easily
---10- A tool to view cache content and the possibility to discard selected item from the list (a little like taskmgr)
---11- An energy saver mode (for laptop for example) when activated use less cpu and reduce hard disk write speed
Yes, we'd like to implement these features.

---12- Use a ramdisk or an other place to store the cache
Currently the cache (including the level II cahce in SSD or permanent storage devices) is not reused after reboot. We're studying this issue.

---13- Execute deferred write on "Stop" button (i don't know if you implement it or not)
Yes, it is. (Otherwise data might lose)

The others (point 2, 3, 5, 7, 8) are also in consideration. But there are some technical issues and they might not be feasible given current architecture of the program. We'll try to solve these issues.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

i just put the ideas that i got :) ... if it can help ;) or may be have a different programmer point of view

i'am very happy that you are taking in consideration some of my suggestions :)

---9c- Execute deferred write
i think this one will be very useful
and may be
---9f- Stop Caching
---9g- Pause/Resume Caching

lool

i'll post again if i have other ideas ^^

Any way thanks

;)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you again. :D
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

- New idea :
---------------

BIGGGGG ONE !!!!!!!!!!

Dynamic Ram Allocation !!!!!!!!!!

Adapt automatically the amount of used ram for Cache1 depending on windows/application used ram ...
example we allocate a maximum value of 3GB cache and fancy cache use full 3GB or less depending on windows/applications (example if the system is using 90% ram) fancycache free some memory to reach for example 70% used ram...
like that we always use free memory for cache and make fancycache more efficient

i think this idea is the best from me lool :p
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

;) We were thinking about this feature, but considering its difficulties we won't implement it in the first official release.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Got new suggestion :D lol

- Displaying used cache in % with a bar in main window or in performance window ...

easy one ^^
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Other one...
- View content of cache and may be later the possibility to choose what to cache
Last edited by intika on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

intika wrote:- View content of cache and may be later the possibility to choose what to cache
Yes, we have taken it into consideration. Thanks.
Nina
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nina »

support wrote:
intika wrote:- View content of cache and may be later the possibility to choose what to cache
Yes, we have taken it into consideration. Thanks.
Viewing cache content? isn't it a block-level cache or a file-level one?.. if it's a block-level disk cache, and If I am understanding this correctly do you think this type of (raw) data is useful to be displayed?