FacyCache + Acronis Backup & Recovery = BlueScreen [Solved] Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
intika
Level 9
Level 9

FacyCache + Acronis Backup & Recovery = BlueScreen [Solved]

Post by intika »

Hello,

First of all i want to congratulate you about facycache cose the idea is wonderful !!!! hope the final product will be nice :) ... talking about that do you now approximately what will be her price ?

i'am a user of ramdisk...
i'am using facycache 2h ago and must quit it cose of incompatibility with "Acronis Backup & Recovery"

My configuration :
---------------------
HP HDX16 - 2.26Ghz 2 Duo - 8 GB Ram @800hz
Windows 7 - 32 bit
5116 Unused Ram
500 GB Hitashi Hard Drive 7200

FacyCache Config :
----------------------
- Bloc Size : 128K
- 512 First Cache
- 5116 Second Cache
- Defered Write : On
- Latency : 60 Secs
- Invisible Memory : Enabled

Acronis Backup & Recover :
--------------------------------
- Edition : Workstation
- Version : 10.0.12457 (Last)

The Error :
-------------
- Blue Screen with NTFS.SYS ... when lunching Acronis Backup & Recover main interface

Note :
-------
I'am using Romex Ramdisk with eboostr + swap on ramdisk and i do not have problem with "Acronis Backup & Recover"

Just to talk :
---------------
I have some problems with Acronis Backup & Recove when i tested my configuration with superspeed ramdisk
... superspeed ramdisk is faster than romex ramdisk at 35% but i have some trouble when i use eboostr with it and there is no feature about hibernation...
... i'am using eboostr with ramdisk cose the integrated ramdisk software is not good and slower than other ramdisk solution...

Any way thanks :)
Last edited by intika on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: FacyCache + Acronis Backup & Recovery = BlueScreen

Post by Support »

Hi intika,

Thank you very much for your detail feedback.

We are preparing the next beta version. We'll try to fix it before the next build.

PS. Please make sure that VSuite Ramdisk does NOT enable Invisible Memory when FancyCache enables Invisible Memory.
PS2. Could you please mail us the settings/configuration of the ramdisk because I think our ramdisk product shall not be too much slower than others. We'd like to check if configuration is appropriate.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hello

Thanks for the quick answer...

i unstalled ramdisk before testing fancycache :) ... i don't think the trouble is comming from there

VSuite Ramdisk VS SuperSpeed Ram disk :
--------------------------------------------------

Vsuite :
---------
+ Hibernation support
+ Reliability
+ Hidden memory
- Speed of ramdisk

SP Ramdisk :
----------------
+ Hidden memory (PAE)
+ Speed
- Reliability
- Hibernation not supported

My Ram :
-----------
8GB @800hz DDR2
5116 Unmanaged over Win 7 - 32 bits

My Vsuite config :
---------------------
FAT32 - 32K Cluster
Size : 1250 MB
Assigned To X:
SCSI Assignment
Use os Ivisibility... : ON
Hibernation : ON
Reserved RAM : 2 MB (Not used but just for security)
Version : Last standard

Speed Test Over HD Tune Pro :
------------------------------------
READ : SP RamDisk Got : 1500 - 2500 MB/S
READ : VSuite RamDisk : 1000 - 1500 MB/S
WRITE : SP RamDisk Got : 1000 - 1800 MB/S
WRITE : VSuite RamDisk : 800 - 1300 MB/S

Info :
------
i used SCSI emulation over the 2 softs and direct backup (image) or at reboot is not enabled when testing speed
Indicated option over vsuite is only what i activated otherwise i tested other option with same result...
Superspeed seems to use an other method to access unused ram, a more direct method... cose got some trouble if i use "Acronis Backup..." cached over superspeed ramdisk a little like the problem with fancycache... with fancy cache i got directly the blue screen and with superspeed it's only when acronis get access cache it's logic cose with superspeed i'am not caching entire hard drive...

Any way thank to be as present as you are it's cool
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for your information.

The access speed of SCSI ramdisk is a little slower than DirectIO ramdisk. So it might be slower than other products.
PS. the comparison test shall be done under same/similiar conditions. Specially, a ramdisk created from Invisible Memory shall NOT be compared with a ramdisk created from OS managed memory. This is because the access to Invisible Memory is slower that to OS managed memory.
Anyway, we are also improving our ramdisk product in performance and features.

Regarding the issue of FancyCache, the editon you are using is FancyCache for Disk, right?
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hi

Yes it's fancycache for disk.

about ramdisk
1.The test condition is the same
2. i know about Direct IO Memory but even if used... the other product is faster
3. it's not a config problem or false comparison the other one is speeder it's a fact, make the test yourself you'll see ;) but in the other hand we don't have features got with your product
4. Test test is made with SCSI + Invisible memory and the config is the same on SS RamDisk and Vsuite Ramdisk.

it's not to blame you i'am only a tester and here is my conclusion :

Super Speed Ram Disk is faster but buggy when accessing ram memory with some softs and don't manage hibernation
Vsuite Ram Disk is really stable a little less speed comparing to SSRAMDISK, support hibernation and got realy more stuff than SSRAMDISK

Anu way my choice is Vsuite !
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi intika,

Regarding the ramdisk, we see the speed difference is a little higher than we expected, so we asked the test conditions. It is not to reject your test results. :)

And thank you for your compliment. we'll improve our products to make it better.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hello,

I think i'v got a solution aout compatibility with some software like Norton Ghost or Acronis...

Trying to figure out what happen exactly...

First the "cache size" First level cache don't seem to cose trouble... (i did not make lot of test only one)

With Acronis we have 2 Problems :
---------------------------------
1. Accessing hard drive cose system driver error NTFS.SYS
2. Accessing their own application memory (cache) cose crash

Solution :
----------
1a. i think you are looking for the exact read/access problem...
Correcting the exact problem will make your final version very good and let it be compatible with futur/unknown applications
2a. You could make a quick fix by discarding problematic file from the fancy cache i know that it work i test it with other sofs...
2b. You could simply add an "exclusion list" feature" where we could add for example "c:\prog file\acronis"
3a. You could imagine a firewall system asking for every application if we want to cache it or not ...

it's some idea if it can help :) cose i love your soft !!! and your presence to customers

and may be i'll got a discount or a free license 4 final edition looool

any way thanks

;)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks for your analysis and solutions!

We'd prefer to find the root cause first. :D

Yes, we're glad to provide the free license for the responsive beta testers. Thanks for your work.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hi,

About acronis... using only first cache and deferred write let acronis work correctly... i'am using fancy cache like that for the moment... i switched to FC for volume...

So the problem come from the second cache and IM

;)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks for the information.

We're checking this issue now.