Feature Request. Selected Folder Cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Ejizz
Level 1
Level 1

Feature Request. Selected Folder Cache

Post by Ejizz »

Hi

First let me say, version 5 of fancy cache if great, and has been absolutely stable for me.
There is just one thing that I could think of to improve it (at-least for me).

I think it would be great if we could select a folder in a volume, that fancy cache automatically loads into cache at startup and then just uses spare ram to continue caching other files as normal.
The reason I think this would be good, is you could target the performance of fancy cache to specific apps, games etc, you want to speed up.

Regards

Rhys
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Feature Request. Selected Folder Cache

Post by Support »

Hi Rhys,

Thank you for your suggestion.

This feature requires a lot of work based on current program architecture. So I have to say that it will not be implemented in the 1.0 release version.
fsommer1968
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fsommer1968 »

Hi Rhys,

you can emulate this function by copying the folder content to NUL right after the startup.

Frank
magic-man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by magic-man »

Since the cache is block level rather than file level, we need to fool it into loading files into it for use later.

The method to emulate this would be to have a batch file in your startup such as the following:
(erase is the directory you want cached)
Batch file if the directory to cache has sub directories you want cached:

@echo off
cd \
md deleteme
xcopy c:\erase c:\deleteme\ /E
rmdir c:\deleteme /S /Q
exit

This batch file will run at startup, create a dummy directory (in cache only if you have write cache on which is what I do), read the files from the directory (Erase) into the cache (must be on a volume with FancyCache active), write them to the dummy directory in cache, then remove the dummy directory in cache. Nothing will get written to disk if the write cache is on. the good part is that the files in c:\erase are now in the read cache!

I actually do this to pre-load the VMWare exe and dlls at boot.

Here is a batch file if you want to cache a directory that has files but NO subdirectories under it:
@echo off
copy c:\erase\*.* nul
exit

This one simply reads all the files in the directory to cache. it is better, but will not read the sub directories. It reads the files into cache.
Ejizz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ejizz »

Thanks allot Magic-man, I will give it a shot! :)

Thanks again