Persistently cache data from regular hard disks onto SSDs?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
jthg
Level 1
Level 1

Persistently cache data from regular hard disks onto SSDs?

Post by jthg »

I'm looking for a way to use an SSD as a large cache for data on all of the other mechanical disks in my computer. The SSD out-performs the mechanical disks under all circumstances, but isn't nearly large enough to hold all of the data that I need. The L2 cache feature of Fancy Cache seems promising, but I think there are two problems:
  • It doesn't seem to allow more than one disk to cache to the SSD. I have one SSD and 3 mechanical disks. I need to have the SSD act as a cache for all of the other disks.
  • My understanding is that the data in the L2 cache isn't persistent - it has to be rebuilt every time the system is restarted. Is that correct? If I have a 60gb L2 cache on the SSD, will all of the data be erased and rewritten every time the system is restarted?
Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Persistently cache data from regular hard disks onto SSD

Post by Support »

Hi jthg,

You are right.
jthg wrote:It doesn't seem to allow more than one disk to cache to the SSD. I have one SSD and 3 mechanical disks. I need to have the SSD act as a cache for all of the other disks.
Current version only supports one cache per SSD. This issue will be fixed later.
jthg wrote:My understanding is that the data in the L2 cache isn't persistent - it has to be rebuilt every time the system is restarted. Is that correct? If I have a 60gb L2 cache on the SSD, will all of the data be erased and rewritten every time the system is restarted?
Yes, this is the main problem currently. The L2 cache on the SSD will be detroyed totally after the system restart. Will try to solve this issue later.
jthg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jthg »

Ok, I look forward to the improvements!

Do you have plans to allow all disks to share the same L2 cache? So that users would not have to decide how much cache space to allocate to each individual disk (whichever disk has more frequently used data would get a bigger share of the cache space).

It looks like the current implementation of the L2 cache doesn't contain all of the data in the L1 cache (since it can be set to a size smaller than the L1 cache). I guess making the cache contents persistent would imply making the L2 cache a fully stand-alone cache one level above L1 and always contain all of the data in L1.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

currently the feature of "share cache" is not planned yet. This is because this feature might impact the performance.

the algorithm of L2 cache is still under further study, not finalized yet. :)
MrPras
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MrPras »

Hey guys, you can use eBoostr for this- persistent caching of GBs of data on an SSD. I use it to Cache 4GB of data from my data drive onto my SSD.

You can configure it to ignore certain types of files and configure it for files of a certain size. For example, caching all files below 1MB is a good idea since it's the small files that slow down the old spinner drives.
jthg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jthg »

MrPras wrote:Hey guys, you can use eBoostr for this- persistent caching of GBs of data on an SSD. I use it to Cache 4GB of data from my data drive onto my SSD.

You can configure it to ignore certain types of files and configure it for files of a certain size. For example, caching all files below 1MB is a good idea since it's the small files that slow down the old spinner drives.
I've been using eBoostr because it's the best option out there right now. There are a lot of potential advantages of FancyCache over eBoostr though. eBoostr caches at the file level, not at the block level like FancyCache. I think eBoostr doesn't cache a file until you've accessed more than a certain % of it and once you cross that threshold, it puts the entire file into the cache. It definitely works well for small files, but if I want to take it a step further and cache larger files, it doesn't work at all.

The documentation and tech support say that there is no limit on the size of files it will cache, but so far it's never cached any file larger than 200mb. My allocated cache size is 16gb but eBoostr hasn't managed to fill up more than 7gb (I guess because all of the files on my computer smaller than 200mb don't add up to much more than 7gb). Even if it did cache files larger than 200mb, it would be a pretty inefficient use of the cache space to cache the entire file when only some parts of it are being accessed.