Load order for two Ram disks

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
jer1956
Level 2
Level 2

Load order for two Ram disks

Post by jer1956 »

I curently dual boot my old windowsXP (32) installation along with a new installation of windows 7( 64). When I upgraded to win7 I also increased the memory to 8 GB, which I wish to exploit in win XP. I have been uisng a single Vsuite Standard Ram disk in IM memory for temp files and the page file. This seems a bit of a waste since my page file seems stuck around 50 mb most of the time. So I decided to try and create two ram disks, the second for a game which stutters due to disk loads. What I tried to do was create one ram disk of 3.5 GB in IM memory which loaded a disk image containing the game, and a second which was variable in size using the remaining 1GB of IM memory and main memory as required using the Dynamic Ram function. This worked when I first created it. On reboot it insists on loading the smaller dynamic ram disk first, thus leaving insufficient IM memory for the larger ram disk and it's image. How can one control the order in which disks are created so that the dynamic disk loads last?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Load order for two Ram disks

Post by Support »

Good question!

The load order of multiple ramdisks depends on the order they were set up via GUI application. On your case, I think the 3.5GB ramdisk was set up after you have created the smaller dynamic ramdisk. To change the order, I am sorry that you have to delete that smaller dynamic ramdisk at first, and then re-create it again, thus making program think 3.5GB ramdisk was create at first.

Hope it helps.
jer1956
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Load order for two Ram disks

Post by jer1956 »

I now have the setup working as I described, thanks!