Drive letter B:

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
Geronimo
Level 1
Level 1

Drive letter B:

Post by Geronimo »

Great software.
One thing : I'm used to set drive letters for ramdisks to a pretty constant place, "B:", which
since the 5.25 disks disappeared ages ago is no longer used - however VSuite doesn't
show these.
Is there any option to alter this (searched already the registry ...)

Thanks

Geronimo
Hans2000
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Drive letter B:

Post by Hans2000 »

In general A and B letters are reserved for floppy disk drives. If you don't have a FDD you might try and disable the FDDs in your motherboard BIOS, maybe this removes the limitation at least for removable devices. If you have at least one FDD you cannot assign the letter B to anything else but a FDD. See http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3 ... 4&x=12&y=4 for more info.
Geronimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Geronimo »

Well, it's more a convention than required by the OS, no need to disable floppies in general.
For instance 'Gavotte Ramdisk' allows to use B:, if I recall correctly MS Ramdrive (the Win Driver) can
be configured that way. Finally, any physical volume can be dismounted and then assigned to B:
by using 'mountvol' in the cmd-shell, hence the reason for the question if anything can be tweaked.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

The Driver letters "A" and "B" are just skipped in our software intentionally, there's no any technical issue to enable these two driver letters. The reason we skip them is that "A", "B" are reserved for FDDs and in our original design we don't want to let a new ramdisk user feel confused with FDD driver letters. Another reason is just to simplify our software coding, because the driver letter listbox is in alphabetic order, "A"/"B" is listed before other available letters. So if user select "Auto Assign" when create a ramdisk, the default driver letter will be "A"/"B". This result is not desired.

But since you and some other users have requirement on this, we may enable it in the next release.
Geronimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Geronimo »

support wrote: But since you and some other users have requirement on this, we may enable it in the next release.
Thanks for your answer on this topic, much appreciated.
Geronimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Geronimo »

support wrote: But since you and some other users have requirement on this, we may enable it in the next release.
Fantastic to see this request really being enabled in the new release - thanks.
As customer service makes the difference today, I guess I can recommend purchase of the commercial version
within my IS department now.