how run with who window xp in ram disk?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
fungyufa
Level 1
Level 1

how run with who window xp in ram disk?

Post by fungyufa »

installed the vsuite ram disk some time...
looks stable....
but is it possible to put window system file to ram disk and run from it?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: how run with who window xp in ram disk?

Post by Support »

quite nice idea! :P
If you mean the whole windows system and startup from the ramdisk, I have to say that is almost impossible.
Some system files can be put in the ramdisk, eg. pagefile.sys.

Thinking moving the system files to the ramdisk, at least 2 points may be noticed:
1. can the file be moved to ramdisk?
some files are loaded before the ramdisk is created. eg. ntldr, ntoskrnl.exe as well as some boot drivers.

2. does the file worth moving to ramdisk?
some files are loaded by Windows into the RAM already, and they will not be read or written from/to the disk frequently. There is almost no access optimization putting the files in the ramdisk. I think only these files or folders which are read/written frequently worth moving. Currently you can see the TEMP folder, IE temporary folder, pagefile.sys. Maybe you can find
other files or folders.

personal point, looking forward to your opinions
riad sabti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by riad sabti »

A ramdisk can be used for anything that benefits from its intrinsically volatile nature. I have successfully relocated IE, firefox and Opera caches to it, as well as the TMP and TEMP environment variable paths. Relocation of pagefile.sys would have been most useful to free up space as well as for quicker access, being the largest file by far. However, this is still not possible, because on rebooting, it is not there, so Windows creates it on C rather than on the ramdisk.

I hope you can assign solving this issue the priority it deserves to facilitate a potentially major application advantage for your commendably promising product. I am looking forward to v1.14 for this, and later maintenance efforts that may be required.

Thanks. :geek:
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

solved in v1.14.