FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
jonesks
Level 1
Level 1

*FIXED!* Pagefile on Ramdisk - Conflicting (?) WinXP Reports

Post by jonesks »

*** FIXED. THANK YOU! ***

Hi!

First off, many thanks to the Romex Team for making this very cool product available for free (to us home users). 8-)

I’m fairly noobish in computers and have never used a ramdisk. Like this tutorial says (http://www.romexsoftware.com/main/suppo ... g-ram.html) I have recently upgraded my lappy to 4Gb and can’t get used to the idea that over 500Mb of it gets wasted. :D

Don’t know whether I’m doing something wrong, or there’s a bug in the software, but I’ll try to describe my findings the best I can (I apologize for such a long post).

The hardware
Dell Vostro 1400 notebook (same as Inspiron 1420), Intel / Intel / nVidia8400 (with 256Mb VRAM), WinXP Home 32bit, PAE enabled and reported correctly by XP, no memory options available in BIOS.

What I did
Read the tutorials and support forum > downloaded v1.10.1711.1436 Free Edition > installed > setup ramdisks of several sizes in Invisible Memory (508Mb available), NTFS, drive letter R:\, volume RAMDISK.

What happened (100% reproducible on my system)

1) :) Everything went smoothly for all purposes except pagefile usage:
a. no problems at install.
b. no problems during or after reboot.
c. Invisible Memory usage is OK - system properties and task manager report exactly the same physical, cached and available memory.
d. cache on drive R:\ for Firefox and IE7 works great with noticeable speed improvement.
e. only used it 24h, but seems very stable, reads/writes very well, etc.

BUT…

2) :o Here’s what it does if I try to swap on ramdisk R:\:
a. initially XP accepts setting up virtual memory on drive R:\ and everything seems OK (I tried several combinations of min/max, including min=max, less than and equal to the space available) > checked pagefile.sys created on drive R:\, visible and exactly the size specified > XP Properties\Advanced\Performance reports correct total paging file size > works OK as expected
b. at reboot system shuts down quickly as usual, but boots up much slower, with notable HDD activity (much longer than usual)
c. after boot-up, XP reports the following conflicting values
- System Properties\General > 3.5Gb RAM (OK)
- SystemProperties\Advanced\Performance\Virtual memory > total paging file = 3581Mb, which is about the same as the total RAM seen by XP :!:
- SystemProperties\Advanced\Performance\Virtual memory\Virtual memory window > Drive C:\ no paging file, drive R:\ 400Mb (or whatever value I set), “currently allocated: 3581Mb” :!:
- exploring the hard disks, I found TWO pagefile.sys files: the one I created on ramdisk R:\ (of correct size) AND another one on drive C:\ of about 3.49Gb, probably created on boot-up and explaining the unusual HDD activity :!:
- the system is less responsive after boot-up, swapping heavily on the HDD; like I said above, the pagefile on drive C:\ is not reported in the “Virtual memory window” and cannot be disabled from there, but it is in use at all times (cannot be deleted from C:\)

Additional notes
- all of the above happen exactly the same regardless of the size of the ramdisk, only when I put the pagefile on it and after reboot.
- “Enable Image File” and “Save at Computer Shutdown” options in ramdisk make no difference at all (tried both with and without them).

Your comments will be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by jonesks on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Pagefile on Ramdisk - Conflicting (?) WinXP Reports

Post by Support »

Thank you for your detail report!

Yes, we have noticed this problem. This problem happens since v1.8.3601.2338 when we fixed another bug which is related to "3GB" issue. For more details on change history, please refer to http://www.romexsoftware.com/main/produ ... story.html

This bug makes the pagefile setting in SCSI ramdisk invalid after reboot. So then system will automatically allocate pagefile to C drive. That's why you see about 3.5GB pagefile in C drive in your case.

Direct IO ramdisk has no this problem.

So you may try V1.7.3522.1947 or Standard Editon (creating a DirectIO ramdisk) to check if this problem still exists.
We will try to solve this bug later.
jonesks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonesks »

Cheers for the swift reply! :) At least now I know it's not me... :D

OK, I'll try to find version 1.7.XXXX (not sure where) and take it for a spin.

Peace
riad sabti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by riad sabti »

Thanks Romex for explicating the pagefile problem so succinctly 8-) and i hope it's not too indecorous :oops: to remind of your kind promise :roll: to fix it "later". Alas :!: the latest version 1.12 still suffers the issue :? in an otherwise perfectly seamless product.
:geek:
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

preparing to solve this issue in release 1.14
1.13 will be released today or tomorrow, but haven't fixed this issue.
gustarballs1983
Level 1
Level 1

Re: *FIXED!* Pagefile on Ramdisk - Conflicting (?) WinXP Reports

Post by gustarballs1983 »

Hello and welcome as I I'm new to the Romex Ramdisk and this forum.

BTW I hope that this topic ain't dead, because I found a solution (well sort of) to the pagefile problem with ramdisk beeing spawned too late for pagefile.sys creation

the solution is:

a help from competition (or so to speak)
Gavotte RamDisk (an freeware from internet by unknown authors) has in it's bundle a file called "addswap.exe"

this addswap.exe is a command prompt with parameters driven file wich can spawn pagefile.sys file on the fly without the need to reboot (wich got it's pros and cons)

pros
-it actualy functions correctly as a pagefile
-it's gone after reboot and doesn't mess C: drive swapfile (eg. 3GB)
-can be given orders in a batch file and added to autostart to create swap files on already spawned ramdisks

cons
-there is no mention in my pc>properties>advanced>eficiency>settings>advanced>(change/adjust/set*) except the last line where total pool is shown
(*sorry I dont have an english version of XP so i dont know the last one)
-it can only make a 2047MB swap at most

the solution for someone like me who has 8GB total of ram of wich 4.74 are in PAE area is to make two small 2GB partitions with ram disk and set to use addswap.exe on both filling them up with pagefile.sys to the edges (also i had to r_click on desktop trashcan to set their trash space to 0% not to waste ram)
and the additional 740MB :oops: heh well free version supports up to 4GB so i used gavotte's in conjunction with Romex's ramdisk for the third partition
ffox cache temps etc. etc.

hope this helps anyone

(BTW for the game "CRYSIS" it takes only 1-1.5 seconds to qiut to windows fopm fully loaded map and i have P4 3.0GHz single core with HT (prescot) and radeon HD 4850 so I'm running with very high tweak for xp
luke123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by luke123 »

gustarballs1983

The pagefile bug has already been fixed since version V1.14.2017.1955.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/main/produ ... story.html
gustarballs1983
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gustarballs1983 »

Hello it's me agin..
Encouraged by Your information about bugfixes that problem with pagefile in SCSI mode is solved with one of the previous patches, I've arranged changes to my ramdisk configuration.

Unfortuneatly I have to dissapoint You Romex team... the pagefile got sucked up on to C: drive agin and there is no sign of it on the 4GB ramdisk drive I'm giong to check if it's also true for other drive letters besides B: (because that's where I did intended to have the page file stored).

*EDIT few minutes later:

indeed it does work it just doesn't when B: is set as the drive letter

thank You Romex team